Friday

notes

What is the most effective notetaking strategy? For me the Cornell Notetaking System works the best. The Cornell Notetaking System (Record, Reduce, Recite, Reflect and Review) is a five - step notetaking process used to take notes from textbooks or lectures. Even though this strategy works best for me there are other strategies that I will share with you that I believe will also be beneficial in future classes. I will admit when it was first introduced to I couldn't stand it and would reject using it. Now as I progress in school I realize how beneficial it is.

The first notetaking strategy is Annotating which is highlighting, underlining, making marginal notes, etc. Basically just marking any and everything that you feel is important to know. Annotating has always been a strategy I’ve used and I think it is very helpful, especially for my reading class. In my reading class my teacher has us play a game of Jeopardy to study vocabulary 5 chapters at a time. Having words and information highlighted or underlined makes it a lot easier to brush up on my need to know words.

The second strategy is the Two-Column System defined as a notetaking system that shows topics, vocab. terms and/or study questions in the left column and details in the right column. This particular system will be helpful in the upcoming semester because I have to take English. I feel this system will help simplify the different rules of grammar which was something I had trouble with in high school.

The final strategy would have to be Outlining. Outlining provides a skeleton or an overview of the structure of printed materials of a complete chapter. This system is pretty much self explanatory and seems to be effective in social studies class. Outlining is an awesome alternative to time-lines. I’ve used this strategy also, haven’t used it since high school but when I did use it things seemed to make more sense. I’m not sure if I will have to use this strategy or not because I’m not sure what I will be taking in the future. This is my first semester of my freshman year so I am still sort of lost but I will make this my primary notetaking system whenever the time comes to take a social studies or history class.

Well, I’ve told you how I prepare my study materials by explaining the notetaking strategies I use. So, to conclude my view of these strategies I’d like to hope that a mixture of these few strategies will make me a great success in future college courses and I hope to learn even more helpful techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment